Hello and welcome to the Grocery Hunt, Manchester Ink Link’s look at prices of grocery items at Manchester supermarket chains. This week takes a look at various items requested by our readers and a look back at some items requested by our readers a year ago to see how prices have changed.
All items are requested by the readers of Manchester Ink Link, with some new items requested from readers in previous weeks that also include price comparisons between this week and when it was requested.
All prices in this week’s column were obtained on Thursday, Aug. 4 from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. When direct comparisons are not available, comparisons per comparable units of measurement will be used. Prices and availability may change without notice.
This column only obtains prices from supermarkets as items requested by readers are either unlikely to be available or unlikely to be available in a form that can make comparisons feasible at specialty shops, wholesalers, price clubs or other food stores.
However, readers are welcome to submit prices of items from other stores as well as questions or comments regarding the column to email@example.com.
Tomatoes (cost per lb.)
Market Basket – $1.29
Walmart – $1.44
Hannaford – $1.99
Lobsters (cost per lb.)
Market Basket – $6.99
Hannaford – $8.99
Walmart – n/a
Eggs (cost per dozen)
Market Basket – $2.69
Walmart – $2.92
Hannaford – $3.69
Zatarain’s Jambalaya Rice (10 oz., Aug. 8, 2021 prices in parentheses)
Walmart – $1.60 (+$0.06)
Market Basket – $1.69 (+$0.04)
Hannaford – $2.19 (+$0.48)
Green Giant Riced Cauliflower (10 oz., Aug. 8, 2021 prices in parentheses)
Walmart – $2.64 (n/a)
Hannaford – $2.69 (+$0.20)
Market Basket – $2.99 (+$0.49)
A list of previous Grocery Hunt 2.0 columns from 2022 can be found below
- July 28, 2022: Grocery Hunt: Producing Produce Prices
- July 20, 2022: Grocery Hunt: BYOBBQ
- July 15, 2022: Grocery Hunt: Why do you build me up, K Cup?
- July 8, 2022: Grocery Hunt: The best part of waking up now costs up to $1.23 per pound more than last year at Manchester supermarkets
- July 1, 2022: Grocery Hunt: More fruits (and charcoal deflation?)
- June 23, 2022: Grocery Hunt: When life doesn’t give you lemons, what Manchester area supermarket has the best lemon prices?
- June 15, 2022: Grocery Hunt: Buttah and corn edition
- June 10, 2022: Grocery Hunt: Beer and bread edition
- June 3, 2022: Welcome to Grocery Hunt 2.0
A list of the first phase of 2022’s Grocery Hunts can be found here.
For 2021’s Grocery Hunts, click here.